Every Friday I get the same text from Adam. It’s usually the word Friday, all in capitals with many exclamation marks after it. After a long workweek for Adam, and a busy week for me as Mom, chef, chauffeur, and teacher we are ready for some down time! So after a fun evening with the kids, usually spent outside, we tuck them into bed, and then Adam, and I settle down to our usual in house date routine, movie time!
We love watching movies, though sometimes we do binge watch a TV series instead (right now we are watching Suits, and the second season of True Detective). And with any form of TV watching comes the need for snacks, and one of our favourites is popcorn.
We used to load up our popcorn with butter, and salt, but since we eat this treat so often I knew I needed a new way to dress it up. After tasting Pomora’s delicious Olio Nuovo, I knew it would make the perfect replacement for butter as it is SO rich, and creamy. A few more seasoning tweaks later, and we had the perfect corn. Even though it was spicy, the kids were gobbling it up by the handful until Adam hid it away on top of the fridge.
For us, the perfect accompaniments to this delicious popcorn are a hot mug of Soy Chai, and an adorable pup snuggled next to us. I couldn’t write this post without mentioning Uma as she is an absolute popcorn fanatic, and goes CRAZY whenever the popcorn machine comes out!
This recipe calls for quite a bit of olive oil but it seasons enough popcorn for a very generous, family sized serving. If you want to make less or prefer your popcorn more lightly seasoned simply reduce the amount of seasoning you make or pop more popcorn!
- ½ cup high quality olive oil like Pomora’s Olio Nuovo
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 2-3 tsp Braggs Liquid Soy Seasoning
- 1.5 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1 - 1 ½ cups popcorn kernels
- salt (optional)
- In a glass measuring cup whisk together the olive oil, nutritional yeast, liquid soy seasoning, cayenne, and dill. Set aside.
- Pop the popcorn (either using a hot air popper or on a stovetop).
- Place the popped popcorn in a very large bowl. Pour the seasoning mix on top. Use your hands to evenly coat all the popcorn with the seasoning, being careful not to crush the popcorn.