I have many memories of relaxed shopping excursions to our previous neighbourhood mall. I mention relaxed because this was before we had two boys running around. I don’t think there’s such a thing as ‘relaxed shopping’ when you have your kids with you! The mall used to be a frequent week night trip since it was only few blocks from our first house. Nick and I ate many quick convenient dinners there, so I soon had a few favourites from the food court. One was a Vietnamese Bahn Mi Sandwich, oh how I loved the fresh cilantro, tangy pickled veggies, cucumbers and the spicy sauce served on a crusty baguette. The vietnamese sandwich also had minced chicken or pork, so recently I decided to recreate this sandwich at home vegan style!
For this sandwich you need to quick pickle the carrots and daikon overnight in the fridge. See my recipe Pickled Carrot & Daikon Strips for how to prepare. This gives them a delicious sweet and tangy flavour. Then with a few other simple ingredients you assemble the sandwich and volia! A sandwich worth the wait. If you try it, let me know what you think.
- Baguette Roll, 2 slices Sprouted Grain Bread,or GF bread
- Cashew Mayo
- Pickled Carrot & Daikon Strips
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Cilantro Sprigs
- Thai Chickpea Pate
- Franks Hot Sauce
- Spread the mayo on a baguette or bread slices.
- Add a generous amount of drained pickled carrots and daikon, cucumber slices, and a handful of fresh cilantro. A couple drops of Franks Hot Sauce for added heat.
- For a more complete and filling meal, add in some Thai Chickpea Pate.