The What’s What
When the chance arose through the wonderful SABN to do a product review, and giveaway for Nature’s Path, we jumped at the opportunity! It doesn’t get much easier than sharing the love for a product that is already a staple in both of our pantries and enjoyed by the both our families and ourselves; it was a natural fit for The Two Kitchens!
Nature’s Path is a company built from humble roots, and a desire to “leave the earth better than we found it.” In 1967, with just $7.00 in his pocket and a $1500.00 loan, Arran Stephens opened Canada’s very first vegetarian restaurant in Vancouver, BC, the Golden Lotus. In 1971, Arran, and his new bride Ratana, opened LifeStream, Canada’s first large natural food store. In 1985, Nature’s Path was born. Since then, it has remained a family-owned, and proudly Canadian company, now celebrating its 30th anniversary.
From its inception, Nature’s Path has been a company with a mission of sustainable, organic and GMO free farming, combined with a desire to create healthy food that still tastes delicious. 30 years later they are celebrating their successes with a special 30th Anniversary Gift Package as a token of their appreciation.
What Nature’s Path products are we reviewing?
As part of the 30th Anniversary Gift Package, we are reviewing Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola, Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes and Corn Flakes sweetened with Fruit Juice.
What makes these Nature’s Path better than other brands?
Nature’s Path products are all organic, non-gmo certified and vegetarian. In 2008 they signed the Sustainable Food Trade Association’s declaration of sustainability and continue to strive to make it further down the path to sustainability.
What do the cereals/granola look like?
- Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola – a loose granola with pumpkins seeds, whole flax seeds and rolled oats.
- Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes – small brown, oval shaped flakes.
- Corn Flakes sweetened with Fruit Juice – large flakes, yellow in colour.
What is the nutritional profile of each product being reviewed?
- Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola – a 3/4 cup/55 gram serving has 10 grams of fat, 6 grams of protein and 260 calories.
- Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes – a 3/4 cup/30 gram serving has 1.5 grams of fat, 4 grams of protein and 110 calories.
- Corn Flakes sweetened with Fruit Juice – a 3/4 cup/30 gram serving has 0.4 grams of fat, 2 grams of protein and 120 calories.
Product Review Q&A
After tasting the products provided by Nature’s Path, we each completed a Q&A for our product review without discussing our impressions beforehand. Here are our thoughts:
1. When I found out The Two Kitchens had a chance to taste, and review Nature’s Path products I thought:
Sandhya: Fantastic! Nature’s Path products have been present in our kitchen for as long as I can remember, so I knew the products were going to be easy to review and sample. I’m also excited we get to share the fantastic 30th Anniversary Gift Package with one of our amazing readers!
Jennifer: Exciting! My family first learned about the Nature’s Path products when we were searching for (Masto) safe foods for Lucas when he first started eating finger foods. It has become the only cereal brand we buy for our boys.
2. I love using Nature’s Path cereals for/in:
Sandhya: For breakfast of course! We also love making a “parfait” of sorts with layers of Pumpkin Flax Granola, whatever fresh fruit we have on hand (berries, bananas, mangoes, etc.), yogurt, or a dairy free yogurt alternative, and a dash of maple syrup depending on how sweet the fruit it. When in dire need of a midnight snack, Heritage Flakes with raisins, and cold almond milk totally hits the spot!
Jennifer: We use the cereals for Matti when in need for a fast breakfast alternative. He enjoys them with almond milk, and dried fruit with a dash of cinnamon. Lucas has eaten endless boxes of the Nature’s Path Whole O’s, and in the past he’s enjoyed the Sunrise Maple mixed cereal. For Lucas, he eats both dry of course!
3. My impression of each of the three products I tasted was:
- Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola: It’s a family favourite that we have had before so I knew I would love it. I do find it to be on the sweet side so I like diluting mine with Whole O’s.
- Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes: I really like these! Crunchy, and very mildly sweet, which is exactly what I like. Perfect with a sprinkle of hemp hearts, raisins, and cold almond milk.
- Corn Flakes sweetened with Fruit Juice: These aren’t my favourite as they soften so quickly in milk. However, they are quite delicious, light, and crunchy when they are dry so there might be other ways to incorporate this cereal into our meal repertoire.
- Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola: My first bite of the Pumpkin Granola was delicious. It’s fairly sweet, but the texture is great, and I like the addition of pumpkin seeds. After finishing this taste test I promptly poured myself some more of the granola, and finished off a bigger portion!
- Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes: The multigrain flakes had a good crunch, and remained fairly crisp even when left in milk. They do not really have much flavour but I still enjoyed them. When I was searching for a quick snack the other day I poured these in a bowl, and added some raisins with almond milk. It reminded me of the Raisin Bran cereal we sometimes ate when growing up. I like that they aren’t sweet at all. Also it was a satisfying, and filling snack.
- Corn Flakes sweetened with Fruit Juice: The cornflakes were just ok for me. I found once mixed with milk the flakes became a softer texture fairly quick, which then lacked the nice crunch I prefer.
4. Other Nature’s Path products that I would like to try are:
Sandhya: I would love to try the Nature’s Path frozen waffles for a quick breakfast on the go!
Jennifer: After reviewing the Nature’s Path website I realized they have many various products besides cereal that I’d like to try! The Qia superfood snack bars look enticing, as well as the Peanut Butter Granola, mmm. I’ll have to browse the grocery store more carefully next trip to find these other Nature’s Path products.
5. My favorite thing about the Nature’s Path products I tasted is:
Sandhya: I enjoy that I get to eat a cereal that I can feel good about, that doesn’t have GMO ingredients and that generally has ingredients that I can stand behind, and feel good about putting into myself and my family. I love that I can let my kids pick a “treat” cereal from the Nature’s Path section that isn’t terrible for them.
Jennifer: There’s more then one thing I like about the Nature’s Path products, but the main reasons are because it’s certified organic and they use non GMO ingredients. As well as it’s a Canadian company!
6. My least favorite thing about the Nature’s Path products I tasted is:
Sandhya: I often find sweetened cereals too sweet, and I do find this with some of the Nature’s Path products, the Pumpkin Flax Granola in particular. When this is the case, I dilute with Nature’s Path Whole O’s which are not as sweet. My kids would disagree however, as they don’t find any Nature’s Path cereals too sweet (of course!) I also have a pet peeve about products with whole flax seeds that are not hulled vs. ground flax seeds because whole flax seeds will often pass through the intestine undigested. In whole form they are not as nutritionally beneficial, even though they are often sold as such.
Jennifer: My main concern with the Nature’s Path products are the corn added to many of their products. I’m still trying to figure out if corn is a trigger for Lucas and since it’s smaller amounts I’m not sure if it’s adding to his overall daily burden in his body. Corn is such a highly allergic food item for so many that it would be nice not to see it mixed in to so many of their cereals. The other ingredient in a few of their products is soy oil, which is a known trigger to Lucas, so we don’t buy any products that contain it.
7. I would rate each product I tasted ? out of 5 because:
- Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola _4_ out of 5 because: This is definitely delicious, and one of my favourites of Nature Path’s product line! However, I could personally enjoy it just as much without as much sweetness.
- Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes _5_ out of 5 because: It covers all that I enjoy about breakfast cereals, crunch, mild sweetness, and a mild flavour. It’s so good with raisins and cinnamon!
- Corn Flakes sweetened with Fruit Juice _3_ out of 5 because: It’s the quick to get soggy factor that brings this one down for me. However, I could see myself turning these into a cereal bar, or as a crust for something which might make me re-evaluate my rating!
- Flax Plus Pumpkin Flax Granola _5_ out of 5 because: It was my favourite out of the three we sampled, and I even went back for more afterwards! I also used this granola as a topping for batch of pumpkin muffins, and it turned out perfectly adding a nice crunchy topping.
- Flax Plus Multigrain Flakes _4_ out of 5 because: I enjoyed these flakes as well, and I would buy them for Mattias for a quick breakfast alternative or pre bedtime snack.
- Corn Flakes sweetened with Fruit Juice _3_ out of 5 because: I didn’t enjoy these as much, and most likely wouldn’t buy them in the future. They weren’t bad tasting, just not for me.