Picnic and potluck season has arrived here in Vancouver! The sun is shining and it feels like summer already. This means more time spent outdoors and less time in the kitchen. During the warmer weather months, I enjoy making cold salads that are quick to put together and hold up well to take to the park for a picnic. This Tangy Four Bean Salad fits that criteria perfectly and is delicious enough for sharing at your next potluck or BBQ.
I made this tasty bean salad a few weeks ago for a Mother’s Day potluck. Usually its a busy day trying to spend time with both sides of our families, but this year we simplified it and had a potluck lunch at a nearby park. It was so enjoyable not having to rush around and it was a lovely day spending time together with our families.
The bean salad is quick to make if you have pre cooked beans in the freezer or want to use canned beans from your pantry, but definitely make it a day ahead to give it time to marinate in the tangy dressing. If making for a large group you can easily double the recipe. Hope you enjoy this one, I sure do!
- 1-1/2 cup Frozen Green Beans, cooked as per package
- 1-1/2 cup Kidney Beans, pre cooked or 15oz can
- 1-1/2 cup Chickpeas, pre cooked or 15oz can
- 1-1/2 cup Black Beans, pre cooked or 15oz can
- ¼ cup Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Red or Orange Pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- ½ tbsp Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- Crushed Red Peppers for some heat
- In a large bowl, add the green beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, onion, and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour the dressing over the bean mixture and stir carefully.
- Place in fridge overnight for the mixture to marinate. Stir the mixture a few times while it’s marinating.
- Serve cold the next day. Enjoy!