This quinoa bean bowl is quickly mixed together if you have black beans already cooked or a can to use up in the pantry. The cilantro lime sauce with a touch of honey is incredibly tasty mixed into the quinoa bean mixture. Top the bowl with chopped avocado or a spoonful of Avocado Cilantro Spread. I make this meal for a quick dinner when pressed for time and the leftovers are great for a packed lunch the next day. This dish is also wonderful for potlucks as well, just double the recipe to make enough for a large crowd.
The mixture is very versatile and the meal possibilities are endless. It makes delicious filling burritos by simply adding the prepared mixture in a tortilla along with salsa. Roll it up and eat as is, or grill the burrito in a panini press! I’ve also used this mixture to make baked enchiladas and mexican tortilla lasagnas.
Enjoy the Southwest Quinoa Bean Bowl recipe as is or get creative with the mixture, and then let me know what you came up with.
- ½ cup White Quinoa
- ½ cup Red Quinoa (or more white quinoa)
- 2 cups Water
- 1-1/2 cups Black Beans, cooked (or 15oz can)
- 1 cup Sweet Yellow Corn (thaw if frozen)
- 1 Red Pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup Red Onion, finely diced
- 3 tbsp Lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ tbsp Honey
- ½ cup Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- ½ tsp Coriander, crushed
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ¾ tsp Salt
- Top each bowl with chopped avocado and crushed tortilla chips.
- Enjoy spice? Mix in some Mexican Chili Powder to the sauce.
- Soak quinoa in filtered water for a few hours. Drain and rinse well, then place in a medium pot. Add water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes (15-20 minutes if not soaked prior to cooking). Remove from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the black beans, quinoa, corn, red peppers, and red onion. Stir to mix well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, cilantro, garlic, coriander, cumin, and sea salt.
- Add the sauce to the quinoa bean mixture and stir well.
- Place in fridge until ready to serve. This dish can be prepared in advance and keeps well overnight in the fridge.