Once or twice a week we like to have a salad for dinner. Kale salad, a simple green salad, spinach salad, quinoa salad, the choices are many, fresh and delicious! But my all time favourite type of salad is noodle salad. We often eat this Rice Noodle Salad with Crispy Tofu, and if you haven’t tried it yet, you should, it’s delicious! And now I have another noodle recipe to add to my repertoire, this fantastic Soba Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce.
Soba noodles are great. They have a beautiful earthy flavor and great texture. Ameya and Saumya will often have these noodles in miso soup for a light lunch. Noodle salad also means I get to bring out what is possibly the most fun kitchen tool around, the spiralizer. With this I make cucumber, zucchini and carrot noodles to add to my soba noodles. Vegetable noodles make the dish novel for the kids. They are incredibly long so it’s always fun to see who gets the most ridiculous ones. Having fun while eating raw zucchini? I can’t complain!
This Peanut Sauce is the perfect companion for the soba noodles. It’s creamy and thick so it coats the noodles without making them soggy. I will often make this salad in the afternoon, and when we eat it at dinnertime it still has its great, fresh texture. It’s the perfect dish to make if you are expecting visitors or need a dish to bring to a party as it can be made ahead.
I will often top this salad with crispy tofu but avocado or fried mushrooms would also be delicious. A squeeze of fresh lime juice and some crunchy peanuts would also make a great topping! This dish is both kid approved and adult approved, try it out and let me know what you think!
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 medium sized zucchini
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- 1 red pepper, sliced thin
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- ¼ - ½ cup cilantro leaves, diced
- 8 oz soba noodles (I use Sobaya organic spelt and buckwheat noodles)
- Peanut Sauce
- crispy tofu, avocado or fried mushrooms, optional
- lime wedges and chopped peanuts, optional
- Cook the noodles following the directions on the box. Err on the side of undercooked, tasting frequently to ensure an al dente texture. Rinse the cooked noodles in water and coat lightly in oil so that they don’t stick.
- Using the attachment for the finest noodles, spiralize your carrots, zucchini and cucumber. If you don’t have a spiralizer use a vegetable peeler to cut thin long strands, or thinly julienne the vegetables instead.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the soba noodles and the vegetable noodles. Mix with as much Peanut Sauce as desired.
- Top with crispy tofu, cubed avocado or fried mushrooms if desired.
- Serve with lime wedges and chopped peanuts on the side if desired.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.