This One Pot Pumpkin Farro Stew is delicious and simple enough to make on a busy day! It’s loaded with farrow, lentils, beans, and plenty of vegetables creating a warm and filling meal on a chilly Fall evening.
My older son Mattias is participating in a different schooling option this year called HomeQuest and so far it’s been quite the journey. It’s the best of both homeschool and public school mixed together. He attends classroom style classes only once a week, does the remainder of learning at home and through many optional field trips each week. Juggling it all has become a lot more work for me, but being so involved in his education and witnessing him learn each day has definitely been worth it.
The downfall of this though has been the busy days mean less time for cooking or recipe testing in my
kitchen. I’ve been attempting to perfect my recipe for Pumpkin Raisin Scones lately but keep running out of time to tweak it a bit more before it’s blog worthy. Only the worthy recipes get posted on here! So tonight after a long field trip day away from the house, we arrived home and had less than an hour to make something for dinner, without a pre-conceived plan. Sometimes this is how my best recipes are created, I just start throwing stuff together on a whim and a new meal is born. Usually I remake a new creation a few times before finalizing the ingredient list, but this meal was perfectly tasty and blog worthy after the first attempt. Plus it got two thumbs up from Mattias after the first bite. I’m already looking forward to the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
- ½ tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 large Onion, diced
- 4 cups Mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups Beans of choice, cooked (chickpeas, black beans, adzuki beans, etc)
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1 Orange Pepper, diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 cup Farro, uncooked
- ½ cup Red Lentils, uncooked
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 can Tomato Sauce (about 1-1/2 cups)
- ¾ cup Pumpkin, cooked/canned
- 2 cups Kale, finely diced
- 2 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Sea Salt, to taste
- 3-4 drops Liquid Smoke
- Top with chopped cilantro and diced avocado
- In a large pot, add the coconut oil and turn heat on medium.
- Add the diced onions and mushrooms to the pot and cook until the mushrooms are cooked throughly and the onions are translucent.
- Stir in the beans, diced peppers, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, farro, and lentils. Cook for a few minutes while continuing to stir.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, and pumpkin. Stir well to mix, then bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cover with lid and reduce to simmer on low for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove lid, add finely diced kale, coconut sugar, and cinnamon (and liquid smoke drops if using), stir to mix. Allow to cook uncovered for a few more minutes to thicken.
- Add sea salt to taste. Serve with chopped cilantro and chopped avocado.