Need an easy and quick breakfast idea for busy weekday mornings? This simple recipe makes our morning rush less chaotic during the weekdays and starts the morning off with a nutritious breakfast. The mixture of cooked steel cut oats and chia seeds is a hearty and filling breakfast option providing an excellent source of protein, fibre, iron, B vitamins, and healthy fat. Start your morning off right by including these breakfast bowls in your kitchen!
The best part of these oats n’ chia bowls are they can be customized for each family member’s personal topping preference. Nick adds a big scoop of hemp hearts (about 1/4 cup) along with a scoop of maca powder, a handful of blueberries, and a banana. He calls it “The breakfast of champions” before taking on a 16 km bike ride to work. Like I’ve mentioned in a previous post, Mattias eats this every morning before school, then on weekends when we have more time he gets to choose a more time consuming breakfast like Buckwheat Oat Pancakes, Banana Cashew French Toast, Vegan Breakfast Crepes or some other breakfast creation. This saves a lot of time during the week as I simply heat up his portion and change up the toppings each day to keep it interesting. When Lucas was younger, he used to eat this mixture for about a year and a half, along with homemade apple or pear puree and hemp hearts stirred in. This breakfast is what helped fuel Lucas and his healthy growth during such a crucial developmental stage. If he hadn’t been eating this meal back then I have no doubt he’d be underweight and described as ‘failure to thrive’, like so many kids with mastocytosis. I enjoy these bowls with blueberries and cinnamon, or with bananas and peanut butter stirred in. However you enjoy your oatmeal, try pre-making this mixture of steel cut oats with chia seeds and you’ll have more time to enjoy your mornings!
Steel Cut Oats versus Rolled Oats:
Steel cut oats are less processed than rolled or instant oats, meaning longer cooking times, hence the need to cook ahead of time and store in the fridge. Steel cut oats are never cooked and the whole grain that passes through blades to cut into smaller pieces before being packaged. Rolled or instant oats are steamed then rolled before packaged, which helps it cook it faster but causes nutrient loss.
- 1-1/2 cups Steel Cut Oats, uncooked
- ¼ cup Chia Seeds
- 5-1/2 cups Boiling Water
- In a medium sized pot, add the steel cut oats and chia seeds. Mix throughly.
- Pour the boiling water into the pot and stir well.
- Cover with lid and simmer on low for 40-45 mins, stirring once or twice.
- Remove from heat and stir.
- Place leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for quick weekday breakfast.
- To use over the next few days, spoon out a portion (3/4 cup - 1 cup), and warm up the oats along with your favourite toppings. Stir and enjoy!
- Add ¼ cup Blueberries, 2 tbsp Non Dairy Milk, 1 tbsp Hemp Hearts, 1 tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey, and pinch of Cinnamon.
- Add ¼ cup Applesauce or Apple Date Filling, 2 tbsp Non Dairy Milk, 1 tbsp Hemp Hearts, 1 tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey, and pinch of Cinnamon.
- Add ½ a Banana mashed or sliced, 2 tbsp Non Dairy Milk, 1 tbsp Hemp Hearts, 1 tbsp Maple Syrup or Honey, and pinch of Cinnamon.