Ditching dairy doesn’t mean you have to give up yogurt! In most grocery stores you’ll find dairy free varieties like almond, coconut or soy yogurt. They are great alternatives but did you know you can make your own plant based yogurt at home without any special equipment? This homemade yogurt is made from simple pure ingredients and is free of gums, pectin, ‘natural’ flavourings and preservatives. This yogurt recipe becomes thick and creamy similar to a greek style yogurt. The best part is you’ll be getting healthy fats and beneficial probiotics!
At the beginning of this year I decided I wanted to learn how to make fermented foods at home. I wanted to ensure my family and I were getting adequate probiotics as a part of our plant based eating. Probiotics are good bacteria that play an important role in our gut ecosystem stability. This good bacteria helps us digest food and maintain optimal health, while fighting disease and infections.
Since I already knew my son Mattias loves fruit filled yogurt, I decided that would be the first on my ‘to make’ list. Cashew yogurt is also a perfect after school snack as it’s quite filling and nutritious. The first batch I made disappeared within two days and he was soon asking for more. I created two different flavours by stirring in some Strawberry Chia Jam for a berry flavoured yogurt, and we added some Apple Date Filling for an apple pie flavoured yogurt. Both were delicious!
For this recipe you’ll need a high speed blender, a glass dish, an oven with working interior light, and a few simple ingredients listed below. Once you have blended up the yogurt mixture, place the glass container with a breathable cover (like a paper towel or cheesecloth) in the oven. Turn on the oven light which will provide just the right temperature for the fermenting process to begin. Leave the yogurt in the oven for 6-12 hours, depending on how tangy you like yogurt to be. The second time I made it I left it in overnight and it was way too tangy for me to enjoy. So make sure to taste it a few times throughout the fermenting process.
Another thing to note is once it tastes tangy enough for you, stir it well, then put a lid on the container and stick it in the fridge overnight. The yogurt will thicken quite a bit after being chilled. When you’re ready to eat it, stir in whatever fruit, jam, granola, or other flavourings you prefer and enjoy.
- 1-1/2 cups Raw Cashews (soak for 2 hours)
- 1 cup Filtered Water
- 2-3 tablespoons Honey or Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 2 Probiotic Capsules
- Soak cashews for two hours in enough water to cover them. This will help get a smooth consistency before blending.
- Drain cashews, then rinse and add to high speed blender.
- Add the filtered water, honey, vanilla and sea salt, then blend until smooth. You may have to scrape down the sides a few times depending on your blender.
- Open two probiotic capsules and empty the powder into the blender with the creamy cashew mixture. Continue blending until mixed well.
- Pour the mixture into a clean glass jar and cover with a paper towel or cheese cloth and secure with rubber band.
- Place the jar in the oven, close the door and turn on the oven light. This will keep the temperature between 80-110 to begin the fermenting process. Don't turn on your oven!
- Leave the jar in the oven all day or overnight. About 6-12 hours. Taste the yogurt a few times throughout the fermenting process until it gets to the right amount of tang for you.
- Remove from oven and give it a good stir. Place in fridge 1-2 hours to chill or overnight to thicken even more.
- Stir in your favourite mashed fruit or prepared fruit chia jam. Add more honey to adjust the sweetness. Top with some granola if you prefer some crunch.