Vegan French Toast. Yup that right, no eggs required to make this french toast! Did you know french toast was originally stale bread dipped in milk, no eggs, then fried in oil or butter. From the early 5th century AD, Romans called this style of french toast ‘Pan Dulcis’. This dish was a way for them to use their bread once it had gone stale. In my recipe I use cashews and bananas blended together to make a thick and creamy mixture. It coats thick slices of bread nicely, giving the french toast a golden colour and a sweet caramelized flavour once pan fried.
I usually make pancakes for the boys on the weekend, but when we have a busy morning, I opt to make this french toast instead since it comes together really fast. After blending the ingredients until smooth, pour it onto a large plate and dip the slices. Then add to a hot frying pan and cook until golden brown.
I add sliced bananas on top and a drizzle of the leftover banana cashew mixture, with a dash of cinnamon. Feel free to add any of your preferred french toast toppings and enjoy this easy egg free french toast!
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup Cashews, raw
- ½ cup ripe Banana
- ¾ cup Almond Milk
- 1 teaspoon Flax Powder
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla
- 4-5 Thick Bread Slices
- Heat up coconut oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
- Put the cashews, banana, milk, flax powder, and vanilla into a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour onto a plate and dip both sides of the bread into the creamy mixture.
- Place two slices of bread into the frying pan for a few minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Careful not to flip too early or the batter will separate from the bread.
- Place on a plate, and repeat with the remaining bread slices.
- When ready to serve, add sliced bananas and drizzle some of the leftover banana cashew mixture on top. If you prefer a sweeter topping lightly drizzle some maple syrup. Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon and enjoy!