I have the worst timing with ripe avocados when needed for a recipe. We don’t eat them everyday but usually use one or two a week with dinner. I’ve had to toss more than a few avocados that have gone past their ripeness and ended up with that string like texture inside. Or sometimes I’ve sliced them open to find they are still too hard to enjoy. I’ve done the stem trick and have also attempted to speed up ripping in a brown bag trick, yet I still haven’t gotten the timing down perfectly.
This avocado spread was created to be able to have an avocado ready to use any day we desire. I usually make our avocados into some sort of cilantro lime guacamole to compliment a dish for dinner, so this spread was our solution. It makes a big jar full and can be used on sandwiches, mixed into salads, spooned onto soups, enchiladas or other Mexican dinners. I also use it as a dip with crackers for an afternoon snack. It’s tasty and ready to use when you need it. The avocado spread keeps well in the fridge and stays green for about a week due to the fresh lime juice.
- 3 ripe Avocados
- 2 cup Cilantro
- 6 tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
- ½ tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1-1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Pepper
- ⅛-1/4 tsp Chili Powder (depends how spicy you prefer)
- Put everything except one avocado into the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Mash the last avocado, leaving it a chunky texture and stir into the smooth mixture.
- Store in a glass jar with sealable lid and keep in fridge.
- Use the spread on sandwiches, stir into salads, or add some on top of your favourite Mexican dishes.