This Apple Date Filling reminds me of hot apple pie! Soft apple pieces in a caramel and cinnamon flavoured sauce. It’s simple to make ahead of time and store in the fridge to use as needed. It’s without refined sugars, just dates to add a hint of sweetness and increases the dietary fibre, as well as providing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant flavonoids, vitamins, and minerals.
If you prefer it a bit sweeter, just add some honey or maple syrup. Originally I created this filling for Mattias as another crepe filling idea for these Vegan Breakfast Crepes. He loved it and so do I. The leftover filling was perfect stirred into our Oats N’Chia Bowls the next day. This filling would also be delicious mixed into yogurt and served over waffles or some ice cream. If you’ve come up with a great way to use this Apple Date Filling, let us know in the comments below!
- 4 Dates
- ¼ cup Warm Water
- 2 Apples
- ½ tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg (optional)
- Add dates to the warm water and soak for about 5 minutes, while prepping the apples.
- Peel and core the apples, then thinly slice them. Place apples in a small pot and toss slices in lemon juice.
- In a high speed blender add the dates and soaking water. Blend until smooth, then add the date mixture to the apples and stir.
- Simmer on low heat, stirring often until apples are cooked. They will be soft and fork tender.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir well and use right away or allow to cool and store in fridge in sealable container.
- This filling is perfect for Vegan Breakfast Crepes, mixed into Oat’s N’Chia Breakfast Bowls, stirred into various yogurts, or used as a topping on waffles or ice cream! Double the recipe and keep it handy in the fridge for the week, or freeze in small portions, to take out and use as needed.